October 26, 2010

Wanted


Wow! I don't remember the last time (if ever) that I posted a movie on here. I never was much of a movie watcher. I didn't have many, and then I met Steve. As some of you may know, Steve has a small obsession. He has 100s! So I thought maybe there was something wrong with me because I didn't buy movies. So I started to buy movies. Problem was, I never watched them. I'm more of a watch a movie halfway through on tv type of gal. Many DVDs have gone unwatched! Including this one! I have a certain preference in movies. Ridiculous over the top awesome action movies. And I thought Wanted looked bad. ass. Enough with this anecdotal shit, on to the review!

I will give Wanted this. It had a plot. An ordinary man with an ordinary job gets pulled into a group of assassins. This group works based off a loom. Morgan Freeman interprets the loom into binary which he translates to letters which turn out to be someone's name. Goal: assassinate that person. It's fairly simple. Ordinary guy thinks his dad left when he was 7 days old. Ordinary guy finds out his dad was actually assassinated by a rogue member just mere days ago. Enter Angelina Jolie. Completely one dimensional character with back tattoos who helps him transition from ordinary guy to cold blooded killer in a matter of 30 movie minutes which could be who knows how many "real" minutes.

"I have tattoos"

From there, there are twists. There are turns. There are action packed shooting sequences. I did not think it was a bad movie. I thought it was ridiculous movie! Right up my alley. And now without further ado, the 5 most ridiculous parts of this movie (in order of appearance). You may not want to read if you don't want any spoilers on the movie.

1. The movie begins epically. A woman is shot. A man retaliates. To do this, he winds up (reads: runs back as far as possible) and then launches himself (reads: runs really fast) into a window jumps over a large gap between two skyscrapers, while shooting people in the head. And tumbles into a window on the other side.

"Look at me! I'm jumping through a window!"

2. Ridiculous car driving scenes. At one points a man is standing stationary on a road and Angelina Jolie (aka Fox) spins her car around and drives into him so that he lands in the passenger seat perfectly. In another scene, ordinary guy turned assassin drives his car onto Fox's car so that his is perfectly propelled into the air so that he can make a kill through a sun roof.

"I'm super cool"

3. Curving bullets. 'Nuff said.

4. Shooting through heads. Man, I wish I had a picture of this. In one of the final epic scenes of the movie, ordinary guy shoots someone in the head. Twice. Put his gun through his head. Then shoots other people through the other guys head. It takes human shield to a whole new level.

5. I don't know if I should talk about this because it is one of the final scenes of the movie, and I wouldn't want to ruin this gem of a movie for all of you. So BIG SPOILER ALERT! I'm not going to give any context. But here's the deal. Ordinary guy stands in the middle of a circle. Assassins line the circle with guns pointed at ordinary guy. The option: kill ordinary guy or kill yourselves. One of the members decides that killing themselves would be the better more moral option. So, she takes #3 into use. From she curves the bullett so it curves around the entire circle, the bullet going through everyone's head, losing no momentum, and ends by splattering her brains. HONESTLY! This is so not possible! Not even the least bit!

And that's what this movie is like. Not possible! Not even the least bit! Highly entertaining though.

2 comments:

  1. What a successful Christmas gift this was. I'm glad it inspired your longest and most coherent post in ages. In fact, your recap was easier to follow than I'm sure this movie was. Curving bullets? What's up with THAT!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about how weird it was that this movie caught so much shit for the whole bullet-curving thing, as if everything else in the ads had a strong base in reality. I guess that was just the scene that took the biggest dump on the concept of physics. Woo poop metaphors.

    ReplyDelete