October 7, 2010

Alan Wake


I don’t know where to stand on this game. Was is good? Was it bad? Although I was initially blown away at the beginning of this game, now - after viewing its bizarre and uninformative ending - I’m lost. Let me start from the beginning.

When I read Sweeney’s post of this guy and explained it was somewhat like Stephen King: The Video Game, I became somewhat intrigued. I was aware of this game's premise after reading online reviews when it first hit the shelves, but it wasn't until I became ill this past weekend that I finally had the excuse necessary to pick this bad-boy up at the store. And for a while, everything was good. The game starts out with you playing the role of Alan Wake - a burnt out novelist (cough... Stephen King... cough) who’s on vacation in a small town up in the Pacific Northwest. Then shit hits the fan with some boogiemen come out and steals Alan’s wife. Flash forward one week later. Alan wakes up in car wreck and realizes he doesn’t remember a thing about the past seven days. Even though the darkness is coming in, Alan must find his wife and figure out what the fuck just happened to him.

Ok, so things are starting off great. I’m loving story, so far, and am really getting into the gameplay. I’m pretty sure Sweeney touched upon this, but let me reiterate. The game functions with the notions of Dark vs. Light. As you run through dense forrest environments, bad guys (named: Taken) jump out at you attempting to rip your head off. With your trusty flashlight and revolver in hand, you blind your foes with light then shoot. A fun and slightly original idea for gameplay. In this game, however, what starts out fun and intriguing usually ends confusing and repetitive. You find that 70% of the game has you running through the same forrest environments as you make your way from point A to point B going through the same battles as always. And by the time you reach the ending of the game... Well, I’m not going to ruin the ending for any of you, but after conversing with Sweeney on the matter we both agree that there is little sense to make of it. My guess: We are going to see an Alan Wake II sometime in the future to explain all this.

Although it may seem like I’m shitting on this game, I should clarify I really enjoyed playing this. The ending might be frustrating, but the gameplay - blinding your foes with light, blowing them to bits - is great fun. You have enough options with the flare gun, flash bombs, shotgun, and hunting rifle that you can cap your enemies in a variety of different ways. But your options are just enough. They could go more. Same with the villains. You've got Taken-men, Taken-birds, and Taken-inanimate objects. Pretty basic, and leaves you wishing for a little more.

Also, I thought this game was a nice blend of humor and horror. Most of the time I was genuinely excited/scared waiting for guys to jump out at me or just exploring the aftermath of some horrible attack - knowing something is waiting for you on the horizon. Then at moments the game changes its tone. There’s one in particular where you stand on this stage of a rock show as pyrotechnics flare up all around you, blinding your foes while you run in circles gunning them down. It’s overkill. And it’s awesome. Something so over-the-top you can’t help but laugh.

I guess that’s what I really admire about the game. Rather than judging it for its cons of being repetitive and confusing, I need to look at it as one exciting adventure. Although there are some flaws, I guaranty it is still nothing but fun and definitely an appropriate play for the Halloween season. And about the story, I’m just going to let it go. It was at least compelling enough to get me to the end. I just wished the ending was clearer. Hopefully there will be some sense made in the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment