September 1, 2010

The Tick: Complete Series



Why was this show cancelled? Someone answer me that. Perhaps it’s my fault. I vaguely remember this being played on Fox years ago, but I - among others - did not give it the attention it deserved, nay, required to stay on the air. So I guess we did this to ourselves. We’re to blame. WHY?!!!

Anyways, I though I originally saw Stan or somebody make a post about a while back; but since I couldn’t find any records of it, I’ll give you the gist of the show to keep you in the loop: In a world where super heroes and villains exist (yet all are mediocre, at best) one man will stand above them all. The Tick. With help from his meek sidekick Arthur and his friends Batmanuel and Captain Liberty, the team perches themselves on rooftops overlooking their fair city to discus the frustrations plaguing their lives... or just hang out at their local diner - Seinfeld style. That’s essentially the plot.

What brings the humor is the Tick’s bewildering sense of reality. While everyone else on the show seems to understand they are normal people who just happen to wear costumes and attempt to fight crime, the Tick truly believes himself to be a super hero. And I believe him.

Although the show was cancelled after nine episodes, I’m pretty sure they would have revealed the Tick to be some sort of alien or foreign creature. I mean, the guy's got super human strength, is huge (standing a couple of feet over everyone else), and seems to have no idea how the world works. He only knows how to deliver a healthy does of justice to all evil-doers. Plus he has these crazy antennas jutting out of his head that behave all on their own. How could those exist and act the way they do if he wasn’t a strange alien?

Unfortunately we’ll never know. The live-action version was based of a cartoon series that was originally based off a comic book. Perhaps the answer lies in there. Perhaps.

In short, it’s a good show. Find it and watch it when you’ve got the chance.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I absolutely remember this show. 13-year-old me didn't like it very much and stopped watching after one episode. But perhaps it was over 13-year-old me's head. You know, critics seemed to love this show, and nine half-hour episodes can't be too much to commit to, so fuck it; I'm on board. I'll add it to my lengthy loggin' list post haste!

    And Trev, keep in mind, FOX is the network that canceled Arrested Development. Nobody knows what they're doing, least of all them.

    ReplyDelete