February 4, 2017

The Cave


It's not that I haven't been playing video games in 2017 - I swear! It's just that I've started at least four of them so far. Finally, tonight, I finished one.

The Cave is a puzzle platformer with a heavy emphasis on multiple playthroughs. It was free on Games with Gold last month and depending on your puzzle proficiency (these were hard, dammit) it'll take anywhere from two and a half to five hours to beat. Once, that is. Thing is, there are seven playable characters in The Cave, and you play through the game with three of them each time. That means you need three playthroughs - three! - in order to see the whole story and play all of the levels. And honestly, I don't think this game merits multiple playthroughs. It's fun enough, don't get me wrong. The puzzles are great, but a little time-consuming, and the character diversity definitely works. But there wasn't enough of a "payoff," if that makes sense, to any of the characters' stories for me to feel like playing through this game a second time to see three more stories end (let alone a third time for one additional character).

Like so many other freebies from Xbox, I'd say this is worth playing if you've already got it, but there's no need to go out of your way to buy it if you missed the giveaway last month.

And with that, let's hope the dam has broken and the games start flowing in 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment