February 11, 2017

Split


Saw this last night with my sister. I know most of you haven't seen it yet, so no spoilers here, and a very brief recap.

1. James McAvoy was great. His was the only good performance, but it's more accurate to say he was giving half a dozen good performances.

2. Thought this was good, campy fun for about two thirds of its run time and then the third act breaks into something completely unexpected and substantially less clever than I hoped for.

3. About twenty minutes in I was convinced I knew "the twist" (every M. night movie's got one, come on, that's no spoiler) but the elements I thought the twist affected were, like, completely abandoned in the third act (as referenced above). So now I'm left with a theory - an unconfirmed twist I still believe could be true, really - and I'd love to talk about it with the rest of you. So, Keith, Trev - see this movie! See it so we can talk about it. Please!

This has also inspired me to go back and see a lot of the Shyamalan movies I missed out on before - notably, The Village, The Visit, and yes, even Unbreakable.

No comments:

Post a Comment