February 20, 2017

Southbound


After four straight Best Picture nominees, it's time to cleanse the palate with another horror anthology. (Still racking up those 2016 movies!)

This one's got five loosely interconnected shorts, each about twenty minutes long, taking place in the same general vicinity - a deserted swatch of an unnamed highway cutting through the empty American Southwest.

I thought it was pretty hit or miss, with most of the hits coming early and most of the misses coming later - just like any movie that loses steam down the stretch, I guess.

There's just not a lot to this one. The five stories span horror genres admirably, but they don't really connect in any meaningful or thematically interesting way. I think I prefer the batshittery of Holidays to the dark but disposable Southbound. Still, give me these hit or miss horror anthologies over a feature length shitty horror movie like The Forest or Yoga Hosers any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment