June 14, 2013

Gathering Blue


Let me first discuss something about this book that bothered me. As you grow older, you gain more syllables in your name. Ann could be a "tyke" whereas Annabella could be an "elder." My problem with this system is that there just aren't that many names that lend themselves to going from 1 syllable to 2 syllables to 3 to 4. It just seems impractical. Anyway, it wasn't immediately clear to me how this links to The Giver, but it is clear that this is a similar society to the one in The Giver. However, in this society, history is remembered through songs and stitching on robes. This one was not quite as engaging because of the lack of some of the mystery associated with the first book. Still, Lowry is a talented writer. Yes, this is a kids' book, but it is still more enjoyable than almost anything else I have read in the past few years. I am eagerly jumping into the next book, The Messenger. On a side note, Lowis Lowry isn't very good at writing for characters who are supposed to sound unintelligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment