December 15, 2014

Intrusion 2

I played the first Intrusion game in an internet browser and controlling with a keyboard solely because I also had a copy of its sequel and figured I should play the first game first. For those who don't remember, I hated it and used some cheat codes to move past it quickly. Intrusion 2 however was playable on Steam and allowed for the use of a wired Xbox controller. With that one change, the series got much more playable and I found myself happily hopping around and shooting in the snowy environments of a sequel that improved on the original in a few big ways. In addition to the customizable controls, Intrusion 2 simply flows much better as a game, offering six levels and three lengthy boss fights, all of which were memorable in some way- a level in which you're sliding down a huge mountain the entire time, another where fish are constantly jumping out of the water to attack, another full of powerful mech-suits. There was just much more to enjoy here and it shows a level of polish that Intrusion just didn't have. A review I found claimed that while the original Intrusion was a major accomplishment, with one guy handling literally every part of the game aside from its sound, Intrusion 2 rendered it obsolete, a claim I have to agree with. The second game is worth a play if you're hungry for a retro-style shooter, and at that point you can safely ignore the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment