May 30, 2013

Sherlock: Series 1


Gave this one a watch after devouring Arrested Development over the weekend. Really no reason why I picked to watch it. Maybe it's because Benedict Cumberbatch (got to love that name) and Martin Freeman star in it - now both in major blockbusters, Star Trek Into Darkness and The Hobbit, respectively. Though I'm sure if I had realized at the time that each episode clocks in at 90 minutes long (even if there are only three per season/series) that would have scared me away, but I didn't take notice. Now I'm hooked.

I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of murder mysteries, but I'm certainly not against them. I just think the old "who dunnit?" formula is unfairly compelling. The story poses some question and depending how interesting a question it is, I'm stuck sitting through the whole show to figure it out. (Works every time with Law & Order or CSI.) Sherlock is able to rise above baseline, somewhat. Not saying it's anything too original - I mean this story has been adapted many times - but there's always something to love about the buddy-cop relationship between Holmes and Watson. Even in this show, Holmes is made out to be so brilliant that he eschews the company of others... accept Watson. Holmes, for some mysterious reason, takes a true liking to Watson. Even in this adaptation, they make Watson out to be clearly not as bright as Holmes, but that never seems to bother either of them. Holmes appreciates Watson's loyalty while Watson is sincerely entertained by Holmes' skills at deductive reasoning. Basically, I just dig the odd couple dichotomy here.  

Alright, this isn't the first - nor the last - adaptation we'll see of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's masterpiece. So how does it measure up? For one thing, it's set in modern day London. All that allows is for more advanced science to solve mysteries and for more complicated methods for Holmes' villains to commit their crimes. While not outwardly original, it's a good move and a fun environment to expand the series into. I can't say how true to the books this show is as I've only read the free sample I was able to download on the Kindle store a couple years ago - wasn't sold with the book so I never bought it. There was one scene in particular that I do remember where Holmes, despite his fancy brain, doesn't know some basic, rudimentary knowledge and Watson heckles him for it. Holmes later describes how there's only a finite amount of space in his head and he reserves it for subjects that matter. (In the book, Doyle goes on to grade the level of knowledge Holmes has for each subject which I though was a cool point in the novel - made the great detective seem a little more human - still couldn't sell me on it though.) Anyways, this was included in the show... so I can say that they have at least made some attempts to stay true to the original work. But this isn't how I would look to grade whether or not something is entertaining.

In the end, this show is definitely worth a watch if you're just looking for someway to pass the time. The first two series are on Netflix, so why not give it a go? The one element this adaptation has that I particularly enjoyed was the fact that Holmes says he's no hero. Far from it. In fact, you begin to worry that the only reason he solves these crimes is to keep his sanity. And if he becomes bored, then he's capable of becoming dangerous to himself and those around him. Basically, he is a sociopath... Solving mysteries is the only thing that is keeping him sane and on the side of good. Give it a go if you have the time. It's fun. 

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this series. Cumberbatch plays the sociopath way too well. He plays the same sociopath is Star Trek also. I hate that it has been way too long between series but I understand that they have both been working on major projects. Season 2 is even better.... sorry series 2.

    ReplyDelete