June 12, 2011

Drew Carey Show Season 1


Side Story: It's my Sophomore year of college. I walk into my suite and notice that my neighbors are once again playing beruit at 1 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. I soon realize they have taken it to a new level and become aware that there is not beer, nor water, in the cups but jagermeister. I ask them when the last time they went to class was. The taller of the two (names kept quiet for obvious reasons) looks at me and I can see him start to do the math in his head. After several minutes he deducts that its been on three solid weeks. I tell him, not for the first time, that he should resume going to class. Here's where I finally get to my point; He tells me that hes embarrassed to start on a Thursday and that its been too long he might as well wait till Monday to turn his life around. This is where I am right now in my posting. I started this year with the intention of posting once a week. I started off strong and have fallen into a lull. For weeks I have been intending on finishing one of the many "projects" I have been working on but have been unable to complete any of them. I finally finished one last week, mid week, and I decided that its best to post it on Sunday, that being the first day of the new week and the start of a renewed stretch of summer posts. Especially since its outdoor reading weather. So here goes.



The drew Carey show was one of my favorites growing up. I loved it but I always watched after school and never seemed to understand the complexities of the plot lines because I never seemed to be able to watch it in the correct order. Feeling nostalgic, and finding that I have the time and interest I decided to start the series from the beginning and she how it went and how much I remembered. Starting with the theme song; I completely forgot that the show had more than the one. I expected to hear "Cleveland rocks" and was surprised to hear "moon over Parma."

The show stars Drew Carey a member of the Winfred Lowder department store management team. He is a virtual every-man stuck in a go nowhere job and the show features him and his friends struggles to get by. The show is full of one liners. Drew's and his coworker Mimi (large woman who is easily confused as a circus clown) are in a constant practical joke war. The war started in episode one when Mimi applies for a job and drew dismisses her based on her looks. She vows to make his life a living hell as a result and guarantees that she will get him fired. Much to Drew's surprise she gets hired in the second episode to be his boss' personal assistant. This practical joke war is second only to the one that occurs in the office between Jim and Dwight.

The show is full of guest stars. Penn and Teller star as Winfred Lowders team of Lawyers in one episode. Time Allen also shows up in a tree in Drews back yard in one episode. He finds himself in this situation as a result of a charity sky diving incident that went awry.

Some of the highlights of the season include the episode where Drew meets the woman of his dreams and is unable to date her because she is an employee and he is management. The episode where drew gets sued for sexual harassment as a result of a comic that he attaches to a store memo depicting a caterpillar crawling on a french fry. Drew decides to date his wild hair dresser (Jamie Lee Curtis). And the season ends when the gang decides to pool their life savings to brew beer commercially.

2 comments:

  1. I too watched plenty of this show growing up, largely in syndication on Fox 25 if I'm not mistaken. And I also could never really fully understand or appreciate the storylines due to the out-of-order viewing. But, as you said, the one-liners were what made the show work anyway.

    I'm not sure if you intend on watching and posting all 9 seasons, but I'd be interested if you did because this show - even for a nine-year show - always seemed to be changing its cast, tone, and feel. In Season 2 the theme song switches to "Five o'Clock World" before finally becoming "Cleveland Rocks" in Season 3. And Craig Ferguson (Mr. Wick) doesn't even appear in this first season at all. And according to Wikipedia, Kate gets written out of the series after 7 of the 9 seasons, and Cynthia Watros comes in to replace her as the female friend and potential love interest for Drew. Looks like the last 2 or 3 seasons were totally different from the original show anyway (Winifred Lauder ceases to exist) and, well, like I said, I'd be really interested in seeing you share your reactions to the very turbulent series as you pass through it.

    Of course, Wikipedia also says that none of the seasons aside from the first one are available on DVD, so, whatever!

    ReplyDelete