June 26, 2011

True Blood: Season 3


Well, I'm officially all caught up for tonight's True Blood Season 4 premiere, which, due to HBO monthly rates, I will not be seeing until next week at least. But I'm okay with that. And that is to say that while I was just as capable of blazing through this season of True Blood as I was the previous two, my interest levels were waning and depreciating as it went along. I'm not saying that this was the worst season of True Blood yet - just that maybe after thirty-six episodes in less than a month, I could use a breather before jumping right into Season 4 tonight. Season 3 felt more or less par for the course based on the series so far. A bunch of supernatural beings dealt with quarrels and power struggles while a bunch of humans in Louisiana acted pretty stupid pretty often. A negative comparison came to mind as I watched, and that comparison is to Heroes, another show dealing with supernatural phenomena and seemingly incessant cast growth. Heroes grew old when I realized that the writers were content to make things up as they went along (which isn't always bad) without ever focusing the overall story into anything cohesive or meaningful (which is always bad). True Blood seems as though it may end up driving me crazy for similar reasons, but at least the show is more entertaining, believable, and enjoyable than that NBC superhero flop. And at least True Blood is based on a pre-existing series of books. I haven't read those books, and don't intend to do so, but I have enough blind faith in their author to believe that she's mapped out several seasons' worth of content for the HBO show to follow that will end up being at least decent. In my post for Season 2, I said that I thought the series could last for ten or more years, based on how many books there already were. But now I wonder if the show won't have overstayed its welcome by then. Eh. We'll see how Season 4 goes. I'm curious to see whether or not viewing just one episode a week will make the show lose momentum in my eyes, or if it'll be a slowed down pace that I can tolerate a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment