June 14, 2011

Sherlock Series 1


The other day I managed to explain to Dee my regret at not having posted in so long. She, understanding my embarrassment, decided that she would aid in my logging by introducing me to the hit British series Sherlock. When I say hit, I mean three episode season. The episodes are 90 minutes long and so far each contain one mystery neatly wrapped up inside with what appears to be a larger, overarching, story building around. The two main characters are Sherlock Holmes and his trusty sidekick Dr. Watson. The series is modeled closely on the original books, adapted for a modern reconstruction. Instead of Dr. Watson being a veteran of the original Afghan War (The one between Britain and Afghanistan), he is a veteran of the modern day Afghani conflict. Sherlock is a genius sociopath and is quick to jump to conclusions based on astute observations. In the first episode you hear mention of Sherlock Holmes arch nemesis Moriarty.

Curious things I noticed. The producer, Steven Moffat, is closely tied to Dr. Who and he is close friends with people involved in the Hitchhikers Guide. This is curious because the theme song to this show is very similar in sound and tempo to the radio music for the original hitchhikers guide to the galaxy radio broadcasts.

Anyway, this series is a genre I am not typically very fond of. I hate mysteries and I hate drama television shows, as a rule. This show, however, caught my interest and to be honest I didn't hate it. I am not saying I loved it but I am willing to put the 4.5 hours into watching the second three episode series, slated to be released this fall. Mostly because the third episode of this one ended with a cliff hanger and I have to see how it ends. I apologize to any readers for possible spoilers so I will try and keep that as vague as possible but Moriarty is definitely involved.


2 comments:

  1. I wanted to check this out when it aired on PBS last fall but my Sunday nights were packed and I never found the time to enjoy it. But if it was really only three episodes long, it seems like an easy enough undertaking should I choose to jump in before Season 2 (which also might just be three episodes). Meh, either way, glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you just beat me to the post.

    ReplyDelete