December 14, 2010

When Harry Met Sally...


I bought this on the cheap a few months ago, mostly because I'd never seen it and wondered if it was really the classic that I'd always been led to believe it was. My biggest fear was that it'd be way too much of a chick flick and I'd be gritting my teeth or rolling my eyes at various points. But I'm happy to say that I thought the movie was entertaining and enjoyable in spite of its status as an archetypal modern romantic comedy. Billy Crystal was at his best, rather than his My Giant worst, and his Harry reminded me of Jerry Seinfeld (the character, not the actor) with a little more compassion and a little less hubris. A perfect alternative rom-com lead! I've never had an opinion on Meg Ryan either way, but she was pretty great here. And perhaps I never should have doubted this movie at all since Rob Reiner was in the midst of his best days as a director in 1989, amid a stretch that included This Is Spinal Tap, Stand by Me, The Princess Bride, and A Few Good Men. There were definitely a few lines and moments that felt far more "cheesy" than either funny or genuine, but I suppose that's what comes with the "love conquers all" territory of the genre. In the end I'd have to say that it was much better than I was expecting it to be, and I'm happy to have seen it. But it'll still be a little while before I try out Pretty Woman or Sleepless in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment