December 9, 2010

Parks and Recreation: Season 2


I've probably said more than enough good things about Parks and Recreation. Almost a year ago, I made a post about the first season (when this second season was half over) promising that the show didn't suck. Now, I can promise that it is pretty excellent. "It only gets better" is a very cliche saying, but it pretty accurately describes the quality trajectory of Parks thus far. To recap, the pilot was weak, the first season was hit-or-miss, and its finale was its best episode. This second season came out of the gate stronger than ever, built slowly and steadily, and by midseason was my favorite broadcast network comedy. The final ten episodes or so - and the final two, especially - really may have exceeded any stretch The Office ever had. And now I eagerly await the series' triumphant return in January. I'm cautious and guarded; I've seen too many shows shit the bed after breakout seasons to blindly believe that Season 3 will automatically be fantastic. But early reports from critics who got to screen the first six episodes of Season 3 say that the upward trend continues and the series achieves new heights. Awesome. I guess this post was really more of a promotional piece for Season 3 (which debuts Thursday, January 20th, at 9:30) than anything else, but I'm okay with that. Great show. Great second season. Great expectations for what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment