December 17, 2010

The Great Outdoors


Color me unimpressed! A while back I watched (and posted about) Uncle Buck, a John Candy movie which I partially remembered from my childhood, and I was greatly disappointed. Sadly, the same applies to The Great Outdoors. This 1988 comedy definitely had a number of notably funny scenes and lines, but ultimately it felt like a very so-so movie. The Dan Aykroyd character just kind of bugged me the entire time. A subplot in which John Candy's teenage son woos a girl felt horribly cheap and lazy, right down to the fact that the same generic musical theme played every time their trite relationship was revisited. There were two red-headed twins that seemed to be there only to look weird and creepy. I'm not saying this movie was awful, but I am saying that it wasn't nearly as good as I seemed to remember it being. But I'm happy enough to be snowplowing through my movie backlog at a rate of a movie per night lately. After all, it's best to bail out as much backlog clutter as possible before the inevitable Christmas flood.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, and for my friends named Matt - this movie contained both "lips and assholes" lines. The first is spoken by the main characters, and then the joke is revisited by a family of raccoons going through the garbage via subtitles.

    ReplyDelete