December 30, 2010

Party Down: Season 2


Do you know how many viewers the second season of Party Down averaged? Something like 120,000. Even for a third-tier premium cable channel like Starz, that's an absurdly small amount. That's a 0.0 in the Nielsen ratings. Quite literally, no show could possibly do worse. The season finale drew 74,000 viewers. You could have taken every single person who tuned into the finale and put them in Cowboys Stadium and still had an additional 6,000 empty seats. So this show's inevitable cancelation was hardly surprising. But it was still a shame, because Party Down is (or was, I guess) pretty damn funny. I didn't love it quite as much as many critics did; this cancellation isn't the travesty that Arrested Development's was, largely because this show isn't Arrested Development. I'd rank it somewhere just outside of the top five comedies I saw in 2010. I'm sure I gave a synopsis back when I watched Season 1 last summer, so I won't go into a lengthy explanation about it. Just know that this season was a little bit better than the first one and that Jane Lynch has been replaced by Megan Mullally, and that character exchange was neither an improvement nor a disappointment. And there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment