August 6, 2009

Charlotte's Web


God knows how long this book has been on my shelf. I saw the movie at least twice, and probably more, in my childhood, and never really liked it. Unfortunately, the movie turned out to be a near-perfect adaptation of the book. I had really kind of hoped there was a second subplot to the story or something. But, no, it's simply the story of an arachnid saving livestock from slaughter by spelling words. The titular spider, Charlotte, seemed condescending as could be. The protagonist, Wilbur the pig, was far too whiny. And the third most important character was a rat. There's just not a whole lot going on. I know E. B. White is dead, but I hope that somebody makes a twisted sequel to Charlotte's Web in which the plot involves Wilbur going to trial and proving his innocence regarding the swine flu pandemic. I think that people would buy that book. I really do. I read this book in a few hours last night while watching a baseball game. Why start with this one? I don't really know. Probably because it was short, I guess. Regardless, it's done, over, and in the past. The number 29 has turned into the number 28. Progress is being made, and for that, I am happy. I could tell you what I'm planning on reading next, but why spoil the surprise? Also, I don't know what I plan on reading next. Such is the nature of booklogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment