August 8, 2009

Turn of the Screw

In case you're wondering, yes, my reading of Henry James' Turn of the Screw may have something to do with Desmond hiding the Dharma orientation film behind the book on Lost. I read this book with no idea as to what it was about, or even what genre it was, and it didn't take too long before it became apparent that it was a fictional horror. As noted in the Simpson's Halloween special in which James Earl Jones reads Poe's The Raven, it didn't take much to scare people back in the day, so I worried that I might run into the words "demonic" and "grotesque" instead of actual creepy moments. While those words were indeed used, I admit there were a few unsettling parts, helped in part my reading the book at 2 AM in an empty house. I'm not sure if there was anything else to take from Turn of the Screw aside from a short narrative of the good of a Governess saving the souls of the children she's been assigned to from the spectres of recently deceased family members, but then I'm no literature geek. Oftentimes what people consider obvious morals from books fly right by me; I'm just in it for a good story and interesting language, which Turn of the Screw provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment