August 6, 2009

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull


I bought this movie for $15 or so a few months ago because I already owned the original trilogy and I am a completionist. I saw the movie back when it first came out on video, and last night finally watched my own copy. Having seen the movie twice, I do not care for it whatsoever. But then, I must admit, I was never all that into the first three either. Indy's character seems a rather flat one. Sure, he's a pop culture figure, but there's just not that much personality underneath that panama hat. I'd certainly call him more of a face than a voice, if that makes sense. I think the concept of an explorer of ancient ruins is a pretty cool one, but honestly, I think the Tomb Raider video game series pulls it off a little better, bringing more aura and mystique to the surrounding environments. I know I'm in the minority here, but I've never been impressed by Indiana Jones in general. But enough about the series; let me talk about this installment as it stands alone. It's insane. I mean, I'm far, far beyond the point of breaking down all the implausibilities in movies clearly intended solely to entertain, but still... that refrigerator scene? Shia and the monkeys? The whole last ten minutes? Just YouTube these if you haven't seen the movie, and that'll be all you need to do. There's absolutely no substance to this film whatsoever. And while they may not have been going for a powerful and philosophical flick, you still have to imagine that Spielberg and Lucas could have tried a lot harder. The good news? You don't need to have seen the first three films to get the same experience from this one. Here's hoping that they don't make a fifth one, because I'd oblige myself to buy it no matter how absurd it was. It sucks to be a completionist when stuff like this can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment