August 10, 2009

The Opposite of Progress

This blog has been up for a scant week, and already I've impeded my own progression through my backlog. Yes, I've done made a fool of myself, dear readers, and today, I purchased one each of a DVD, a book, and a video game. That's an instant +3 to the total count. It's one thing to slow down one's pace through one's catalogue, but to extend said catalogue even further is downright foolish. Worst of all, I have no person or circumstance to blame for this setback aside from myself and my weakness for the occasional new purchase or three.

As for what the three purchases were, I'll not divulge that information. I still haven't figured out whether it's better to leave the specific contents of my backlog a secret or to share them with the readers (of which, I am certain, I have only one: my co-blogger). Is it better to share the quest fully while sacrificing surprise and suspense, or to leave my upcoming tasks unannounced and risk a lack of interest? Again, a decision regarding the readers seems pointless, as their quantity is wanting.

Perhaps what's best is a mixture of secrecy and revelation. Why not? I'll give it a spin. The DVD purchase was a television series season that I was doomed to purchase at some point anyway. The video game was one of this summer's most popular releases that I felt it was better to partake in now than later. And the book was a humor book purchased with the upcoming weekend in mind; I'll be leaving on Thursday for a family road trip which will find me cooped up in a car for 18 hours total. I figured that while I have plenty to read, the monotony of travel may cause me to want a reason for some chuckles. Hence the purchase.

Regarding said trip, it will most certainly prevent me from logging any DVDs or non-handheld video games. Because of this, I'd like to knock a few off my list before Thursday night. I'll make no promises, not even to myself, but I'll let it be known that I plan to log at least four items between now and then. We'll see. But, I guess until I actually have something to log, I may as well stop rambling. Until then.

1 comment:

  1. I read it too! It makes me feel like you are spending way more time with your backlog than your girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete