August 5, 2009

The DVD List

I have always been a collector and a completionist when it comes to DVDs. I cannot own just one movie form a trilogy. It has to be the entire trilogy. I can't have one or two seasons from a TV show. I need to own the entire series. This fetish for completion is what has prevented me from purchasing any seasons of The Simpsons. It also causes me to splurge on TV seasons every year, updating all of the running series of which I own the previous installments. Late summer is typically when TV seasons come out on DVD, you know, just in time to build interest for the upcoming fall premieres. What I'm trying to say is, inevitably, many more DVDs are on their way to my backlog, and soon. With that having been said, I think it's time to share my checklist with whoever is reading this. I will now list the many movies and TV seasons I must vanquish in order to claim victory:

Movies:
1941
21 Grams
Back to the Future Part II
Back to the Future Part III
The Blair Witch Project
City of God
Dances With Wolves
Dawn of the Dead
Fiddler on the Roof
The Godfather Part II
The Green Mile
Hotel Rwanda
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Last King of Scotland
The Last Samurai
Letters From Iwo Jima
Mission: Impossible III
The Perfect Storm
Platoon
Prison Break: The Final Break
Rambo
Road to Perdition
Rocky
Saving Private Ryan
Saw
Saw II
Saw III

Saw IV
The Silence of the Lambs
The Talented Mr. Ripley
There Will Be Blood

TV Shows:
Deadwood: Season 2
Deadwood: Season 3
Mad Men: Season 1
Prison Break: Season 3
Prison Break: Season 4
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Season 1
The Wire: Season 1
The Wire: Season 2
The Wire: Season 3
The Wire: Season 4
The Wire: Season 5

Italicized are those films and seasons which I have already seen, but of which I have not seen my own copies. Some might say that these don't count as unwatched DVDs. But to them, I say, you're wrong. My mission statement says nothing about seeing every movie and TV show that I own, but instead explicitly states that I must watch every DVD I own. And there are 42 of them separating me from this goal. That sickens me. Most people don't even have 42 DVDs, and here I am, owning that many unwatched ones. It's time to purge that backlog. It's time to begin anew. It's time to watch some DVDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment