February 13, 2014

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master


Something weird has been going on lately. Either I've acclimated my expectations to the shittiness of the Genesis library - a strong possibility - or the games I've played of late have genuinely been better than several of the earlier offerings. For instance, there was nothing amazing about Shinobi III, and if anything I've grown tired as hell of these side-scrolling arcade-style beat-em-ups. But this game felt genuinely decent. The on-screen images and animation were crisp, by 16-bit standards, and combat was at least somewhat intuitive, with more than one attacking action available.

Anyway, what matters more than Shinobi III itself is that beating Shinobi III has pushed me past the halfway mark in the Genesis project. It's hard to believe, but that's 17 games down now and only 16 remaining. As winter turns to spring and the days grow longer and I grow increasingly tired of the Genesis, I doubt I'll push forward with the same fervor; just because I got to this point in a month and a half doesn't mean I'll be done with this by the end of March. Or April. Or even summer. But it seems very reasonable that I'll be done here soon enough. I wasn't excited at all to receive 33 new games to log to kick the year off, but these don't seem like they'll be choking up my backlog for years to come. The same cannot be said about plenty of PS2 and Xbox 360 titles I've purchased on several isolated whims.

Ecco the Dolphin
Arrow Flash
Golden Axe
Alien Storm
Virtua Fighter 2
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Gain Ground
DecapAttack
Comix Zone
Streets of Rage
Chakan: The Forever Man
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Columns III
Columns
Crack Down
Altered Beast
Bonanza Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment