February 10, 2014

Gain Ground


Here's another Genesis game Keith and I checked out the other day. We made it through about eight levels out of fifty total, but luckily a "select level" cheat exists that enabled me to just pick up where I died in previous attempts to make it through the game. And hey, I won't lie - some levels, I skipped altogether.

Anyway, the point of this one was to navigate at least one character from your arsenal (initially three, eventually twenty) to the other side of the map, cutting through enemies and avoiding their fire along the way. Each character was unique in what type of weapon he or she wielded as well as what direction he or she could fire. Some characters, for instance, couldn't shoot backwards, making them extremely vulnerable in anything but straightforward segments of levels. In essence, then, this was really more of a real time strategy game than any of the other myriad shooting-or-punching games I've played so far on Genesis, and for that it earns my faint praise.

Ecco the Dolphin
Arrow Flash
Alien Storm
Virtua Fighter 2
Gain Ground
DecapAttack
Comix Zone
Streets of Rage
Chakan: The Forever Man
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Columns III
Columns
Crack Down
Altered Beast
Bonanza Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment