March 22, 2012

Professor Layton and the Last Specter



This game is supposed to be a prequel to the series and it introduces the characters of Luke and Layton for the first time. The story is about a mysterious specter that has been destroying parts of the town of Misthallary. Professor Layton is contacted to come and check out the situation by his friend the mayor of the town and when he gets there he learns that his friend's son Luke was the one who contacted him. In the usual gameplay fashion the two of them set out to solve the mystery by solving a series of puzzles, over 150 of them.

I don't know about this game. The puzzles were fun for sure but is that all I want in a Layton game? I have played a couple now and the stories have been all over the place. I preferred the story line in Unwound Future to this one. Unwound future was less realistic in its story line but I found that charming in a way. This one was more realistic but it lacked a real sense of charm. I have heard that the new game coming out for the 3ds is a crossover between Professor Layton and a game called Phoenix Wright. I shall have to check out this Phoenix game so that I am not confused when the crossover game comes out. All in all I will continue to play the series. After all, I haven't even played the first game in the series the curious village nor have I played the diabolical box. The backblog gets bigger!



1 comment:

  1. Oh god. Layton! Man, for a game that's all about solving mysteries and clever little riddles, these games have the dumbest plots and I just don't get why. I guess I've only played the two games that you haven't, but they're completely ridiculous. It sucks because the gameplay and cutscenes are so well done, but the solutions to these huge mysteries require such gigantic leaps in logic it'd make Phoenix Wright blush. The Phoenix Wright games are very fun- they can get a bit ridiculous story-wise at times as well, but it's all very much grounded in reality. Actually wait, I just remembered you have to buy the concept of shape-shifting psychics for a bit. But it's done so much better there! Anyway if you attempt them, try to play the first three in order, the next two are just spin-offs. And Capcom has teased a Miles Edgeworth 2 and that Layton/Phoenix crossover game but I haven't heard anything new on them in at least a year.

    ReplyDelete