March 19, 2012

Downton Abbey: Series Two

Do I get to post this? Sure, why not. I caught Downton Abbey series one on Netflix but planned ahead and Tivoed series two. And then I started it up just days after the series two finale aired. I'm behind the curve, but only slightly! And since the dvds are apparently already out, I'll go ahead and post on this. I wouldn't say the second series of Downton was better than the first, but it's pretty close to matching it. My only real issue is formatting- there's a few double episodes that stretch out for a full two hours, which can drag without a break in the middle. Other than that, still a solid set of episodes. We start off at war, as two of Downton's own young men are fighting on the front lines of World War I and the Abbey is being temporarily converted to a military hospital. I was a little lost on the logistics of this but there's still plenty of drama at home and on the battlefield. Downton suffers casualties, and as the war ends the abbey is plunged into an even more desperate situation, ultimately leading to a very satisfying finale. While the search for an heir to take over Downton takes a back seat to the War, this didn't feel like the series was moving in a dark or unwanted new direction. Enough loose threads still exist that I feel like I have a good idea as to where the third series will go, but I'll likely have to wait until next January or so to find out what happens. Until then, Downton, you'll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment