February 23, 2012

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap


My foray into the hand held Zelda games has been quite limited. I have played a few of them but this one is by far my favorite. Incidentally, this is also the first Capcom Zelda game I have played. Having enjoyed this one so much I may venture into the oracle series (oracle of seasons and oracle of ages) both also Capcom games. I would go into explaining how the game is laid out but that might be a bit exhaustive because everyone knows how Zelda games are structured. Instead I will focus on what makes this game distinct. In this edition Link has to work with the Picori people sometimes referred to as the Minish because they are mini. At certain spots link can use magic items to transform into a Minish and is then able to do things as a small link that he can't as a big link. This duality of links created an interesting game play scenario.

So what did I like about this game? It was fun, intuitive at times and challenging at other points.The bosses were hard but not so hard that you couldn't beat them in a couple tries. It was full of side quests that could give you a break from the main quest. Another thing I enjoyed was its simple yet great story.

As far as I can tell this game more than any other Zelda game I have ever played influenced the Skyward Sword game that just came out. For instance Minish cap contains items called Kinstones and most people in Hyrule have one, actually half of one. Link collects many kinstone halves and when he completes the second half of someone else's good things happen like treasure chests appear or caves open and stuff like that, this is a feature that was closely mired in SS.

2 comments:

  1. This is one I've wanted to try out for a while. Problem is it's still going for like $40 on Amazon whenever I check despite being years old and I'm too stubborn to shell out that kind of cash for an old game. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I remember playing this on my old DS back in college and just having a blast with it. I think I fused every kinstone in the game except for one or two of the Tingle brothers (there were several Tingles in this game, right?) This was good and I enjoyed the Oracles as well- I wonder why Capcom stopped making the handheld Zelda games?

    ReplyDelete