February 8, 2012

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones


A while back the second set of Ambassador games were released for the people who got suckered into buying a 3DS at full price weeks before it dropped almost a hundred bucks. The first set of games was comprised of NES games and were mostly crap, a couple of Zelda games and a bunch of games that were worth ten minutes of play at most. The second set of games seems to hold a lot more value. The first game I played out of this set was a game I had heard of before but never played, a part of the Fire Emblem series.

This was not the Fire Emblem game I expected it to be. I was expecting to see Roy and Marth from Smash Brothers. However, this small disappointment aside, I truly enjoyed this game. I actually had trouble putting it down. Dee spent a week yelling at me for playing at the dinner table and eventually started making me leave the console at home when we left the house.

The game itself is a turn based strategy game. When a player dies there is no revive potion so they are gone for good unless its one of the two main characters and then it's game over. It takes place in the world of Magvel and features Prince Ephraim and Princess Eirika as they try to find out why a long time ally has turned its back on their nation and attacked them.

Being my first strategy game I had a lot to learn about leveling up characters. It wasn't until I had been playing for 15-20 hours already that I learned I had the appropriate items in my inventory to level up a lot of my players to a higher class. I also had to do quite a bit of research when leveling to see which classes would yield the higher stats in the long run. One level took me a dozen attempts to finish but with the right strategy I finally beat it. The final chapter took me a couple tries but once I realized that I needed to upgrade my healer I finally defeated evil and restored Magvel to its former glory.

1 comment:

  1. For screwing over their early customers, I have to say Nintendo put out a solid list of free games to make up for it. I'm slightly interested in the Fire Emblem series, but not nearly enough to make a purchase just yet. Good luck with Minish Cap, but I must warn you- Tingle shows up several times.

    ReplyDelete