February 8, 2012

The Woman In Black


I am not big into the horror genre, to begin with. Partially I wanted to see this film because I was keen to see Daniel Radcliffe outside of Harry Potter. What really sealed it for me finding out that there was a pre-existing book, so the movie would be less likely to fall into the cliche horror-movie tropes.

This movie was scary. The late 1900's turn of the century is the perfect setting for a horror film- communication and travel are both difficult things at this time, and the remote locations make it believable that something bad lurks in the dark corners. What was genius to me was the props in the film. Candlelight and victorian wind up toys are terrifying to us as modern veiwers, but would be less scary to the protagonist in the film. He is scared when toys move on their own, but their sinister look is for us alone.

Some of the plot points were weak, the ending wasn't what I hoped for even though according to the all knowing Wiki the ending of the book was uber lame making this an improvement. Some highlights to my viewing experience was a girl crying in fear, another girl screaming at the first scary scene and then my sister screaming in my face.

All in all I found this movie interesting, tense and scary in the right moments. I even forgot that Daniel Radcliffe was Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment