December 4, 2018

Last Week Tonight: Season 5


It's not that I dislike this show - far from it - but man, I hope I'm not watching it in 2019. It just... doesn't... do anything. What is it accomplishing? I understand it's a comedy show first and foremost, but the jokes aren't really landing for me when the show proudly boasts that it has spent $20,000 on wax sculptures of presidents and Russell Crowe's jockstrap right after Oliver stonefaces a serious and biting critique on the immigrant crisis at the border, or Brett Kavanaugh probably being a rapist.

Kurt Vonnegut had a great quote that goes, "During the Vietnam War, every respectable artist in this country was against the war. It was like a laser beam. We were all aimed in the same direction. The power of this weapon turns out to be that of a custard pie dropped from a stepladder six feet high." That's how I feel about Last Week Tonight and SNL and The Daily Show these days, shaking their fists at the Trump administration's myriad misdeeds with all the effectiveness of... just, nothing. Nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment