December 3, 2018

Homecoming: Season 1


Sam Esmail, Julia Roberts - sure. I was into this. My interest actually peaked midway through the season, and the ending left me a little cold. (What else is new?) Two very cool things happening here that made this at least memorable, if not great, television. One, the use of 1:1 aspect ratio. There's a reason no one uses it - it's confined and claustrophobic, especially on all modern televisions and device screens - but that's what makes it so noteworthy, with its thick black side panels and its jarring focus on the center of the frame. The second thing is that this was a '70s style conspiracy thriller of a show, but that it had half-hour episodes. God, the half-hour - I love the half-hour! That this was ten half-hours, and not five hours, somehow made it so much better in my eyes. Long live the half-hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment