October 16, 2018

Big Mouth: Season 2


This is still a uniquely gross and off-putting show - really didn't need to see 13-year-old boobs and wieners, guys - but I also really respect that it's willing to tackle certain topics and subjects that no other show is. The introduction of the David Thewlis-voiced "Shame Wizard" - a creepy phantom who each kid gets judged by, but thinks only he or she can see and hear - really pulled everything together for me and let the awkward confusion of puberty and adolescence hit home.

Also, not for nothing, but the voice work is top notch here. Nick Kroll's doing the heaviest lifting by far, but John Mulaney and Jason Mantzoukas are just taking their characters to another level. There are too many talented people to list here, so I'll cut to the chase. My MVP is Jenny Slate as the braces-wearing horny nerd girl Missy Foreman-Greenwald. Every one of her line readings slays me! What a champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment