October 15, 2018

Lodge 49: Season 1


Total weird one. This was described pretty commonly by critics as being like The Big Lebowski, but I almost think that's giving the plot and story here too much credit. I'm a fan of Wyatt Russell's and have to admit that he's the least compelling part of this show (aptly named "Dud"), well behind his character's sister, Liz, and new friend, Ernie (both pictured on the couch in the poster above). I'll also admit that I lost the thread of the plot pretty quickly and pretty often on this one, but thankfully Lodge 49 doesn't feel like much of a plot-nbased show at all. This thing lives and dies on its absurd scenes, like when Ernie gets into a shirtless pushup contest at the wrokplace, or when Liz shuts herself in a refrigerator, or when Dud nearly crashes his car into a seal in the middle of the street, or when Liz tries to pull her couch across her living room by her teeth. It's all character-driven nonsense vibes, and if that's your bag, great. I think I simultaneously liked this less than I wanted to and also have myself convinced I liked it more than I did. A second season's been confirmed, which is almost a shame based on how this first one ends, and I really have no idea if I'll be back for more. Honestly? It may depend on when this airs in 2019. If they can accelerate the production schedule enough to make it a true summer show (like, with a June debut instead of an August one) then I think there's a better chance of me coming back than there is if this is airing in the typically densely-packed fall. Pairing this with Better Call Saul was, uh, interesting at best - and I know air dates and scheduling barely matter in 2018, when even DVR viewing is quickly being replaced by streaming, but still!

No comments:

Post a Comment