April 7, 2017

Chewing Gum: Season 2


I talked briefly about the first season of this British export (Netflix import) at the beginning of March, with lukewarm praise. As so often is the case with comedies, I liked the second season betetr than the first; once I was used to the show's tone and rythm it became easier to appreciate exactly what it was trying to do. Credit to Michaela Coel - she's not only the creator and the star of the show, but her physical comedy - mostly just a willingness to "go there" in so many awkward and embarrassing situations - is its biggest strength. I compared this to Fleabag back in Season 1, and the comparison's only more firmly cemented in my mind after Season 2. So yeah - give this thing a shot! Six-episode seasons, you can bang them out in one sitting if you feel like it. And also try Fleabag over on Amazon Prime. I know none of you have seen it yet. Ya lumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment