April 26, 2017

Drinking Buddies


Low stakes "relationships, amirite?" movie I found on Netflix while browsing and said, "yeah, sure, fuck it, I like this whole cast, look at these four, this oughta be something." Best case, I figured it'd be an enjoyable romp of a modern day rom-com. Worst case, an hour and a half of mumblecore bullshit, no worse than plenty else I'd seen.

And I'm reasonably happy to report that the needle ended up just to the right, positive side of splitting the difference. Jake Johnson and Olivia Wilde are coworkers at a brewery, each dating Anna Kendrick and Ron Livingston, respectively. (Imagine if it were the other way around? Now there's a movie!)

But yeah, this one pulled my attention back toward it from my laptop screen repeatedly, which is more than so many other movies I put on as mindless background noise end up doing. It's still no Sleeping with Other People, but Drinking Buddies was more than alright in my book. Call it a seven out of ten when I expected a five, dreaded a three or a four, and would have been happy with a six. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment