April 5, 2017

Top of the Lake: Season 1


Quick one - here's a miniseries form 2013 I always meant to get around to seeing, but never quite did, what with Peak TV and all. It's a crime drama set in New Zealand and starring Elisabeth Moss, who I think is just fantastic. I'd watch her play a character who does nothing but eat cereal for five minutes with something on her mind - imagine the scowls, the squints, the worried looks! Anyway, they;re bringing Top of the Lake back later this year for a second season, so yeah, fine, it was time for me to finally check out the first one.

I liked it, didn't love it. This is only seven episodes, but it's a slooooow seven episodes. Murder mystery, crime drama. Think The Killing - dark, grim, slow, female detective trying to figure out who harmed a teenage girl - but good. And more concerned with the "female" aspect of it all. Maybe kind of sort of in some way it's like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but revealing more would risk spoiling some things.

Nicole Kidman's slated to join the cast in Season 2, so yeah, I only expect this to get better. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment