April 27, 2017

The Detour: Season 2


I know I just finished strongly pushing for the first season of The Detour like a week or so ago, but the second season was even better, against all odds, and I think the third one could be great too! I'll back up. Season 1 took place over the course of a big family road trip down to Florida. Season 2 doesn't take place on a trip of any kind at all - format shake up! - and instead focuses on the Parker family settling into their new apartment and lives in New York City, following the events of the first season. A lot of newer comedies would struggle after losing the crutch of a semi-unique format. Not this one! I found it even funnier, if anything, than I did the first time around, and with a newfound sense of confidence to make all kinds of in-jokes and callbacks. I'm not saying this is Arrested Development or anything, but it might be the closest thing on TV today to that beautiful, excellent family comedy too smart for its own good. Love it! Will miss it. But hey, there's plenty more TBS rebrand for me to get around to in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment