March 1, 2015

Archer: Season 5


Oof. Rough month for the blog, guys. It's understandable, what with all the snow removal we had to do, and what with some of us being real damn busy at work and at school and at life, and what with some exciting new opportunities popping up elsewhere on the Internet. Still, we made just 11 posts, an all time low. And I personally contributed just five of those - an all time low as well. I can't ask the rest of you to pick up the pace - do what you want and do it when you can. I, however, absolutely need to get going if I ever intend to finish off my backlog.

That being said, March is here. A new month, and a new opportunity to make a big old dent in the backlog. Here's the first post. And with this, I'm on pace for 31!

The fifth season of Archer was the show reboot itself. After spending the first four years of its life as a workplace sitcom about a bunch of spies and special agents, Archer took a year off to become one long serialized arc about those same spies and special agents trying to sell off a metric ton of cocaine. Hijinks ensued, and the show's tone was the same as ever before. The abrupt shift in plot seemed like it was born from the show runners just tossing ideas around more than anything else; already in its sixth season, Archer is back to business as usual.

I think that this season sort of ran out of steam somewhere down the stretch, but I applaud the creative effort all the same. Fifty episodes into a low budget animated show, why not take these kinds of risks?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm not sure what else I will even be posting here. Before the year even started I basically gave up on posting tv shows and movies, and I like the idea of posting my reviews up on GameTimeBro and making actual reviews out of them rather than the more personal takes we make on the Back-Blog. That leaves books, and I read way more when it's nice out and I can go do that outside, so I've probably got nothing coming that way soon. And I'm loosening my restrictions on my gaming backlog- if I don't force myself to play every free game from PS+ and Games with Gold and Steam bundles, I'm now down to:

    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Silent Hill 3
    Dragon Quest IX
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Alan Wake's American Nightmare
    Fatal Frame
    Fatal Frame II
    Tomb Raider III
    Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
    Fez
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Resident Evil: Revelations 2

    And 13 games is hardly a backlog at all, considering how long our lists have been!

    ReplyDelete