March 10, 2015

Super Bowl XLIX Champions


Yeah, I still buy these. Don't judge me. The Patriots just won the goddamn Super Bowl! It felt simultaneously like it was long overdue - look at the devastating playoff losses in the ten years prior! - and also like it was the finishing touch on a fifteen-year-long masterpiece. But that's sports for you, I guess. Fans will always cherish the memories, but fans will also exaggerate the degree to which they've suffered any time a season doesn't end with a championship.

It's weird. I want to get all poignant here in this post, but already, just over a month after the team won the Super Bowl, it feels like we're all just ramping up for next season. Because of its recency, losing Revis already kind of takes the wind out of the win. Not in terms of the win's legacy or the all time legendary status of the 2014 New England Patriots - but just because, hey, one month later, and "we're on to 2015."

And then there's the ridiculously spoiled Boston fan in me, who had barely taken in this win before thinking, "This is great, but you know what Brady needs? That fifth ring, man. That fifth one will just close the door on any lingering doubters..." Fuck that attitude, man.

This has been wildly rambling and incoherent. I'm sorry, everyone. I guess I just don't know what to say about a DVD celebrating something so recent yet, paradoxically, also so clearly in the rear view mirror already. Gah!

No comments:

Post a Comment