March 5, 2015

Fatal Labyrinth


I've been saving this one. Nearly every game on my Chinese knock-off Sega Genesis has been a side-scrolling "start at A, get to B" experience. Platformers, shooters, beat-em-ups - I've played them all and I'm sick to death of the experience. Here, instead, we have an actual dungeon crawler. It's a really primitive one - this ain't Diablo - but it was different enough from everything else I've played at this point that its novelty alone was refreshing. Maybe I've just got Stockholm Syndrome at this point, but I actually kind of liked this game. It can't even charitably be called an RPG, but it did contain a dash of "RPG elements" like hit points and equipment upgrades. Now, the gameplay was kind of confusing and generally shitty, so I won't get carried away and say that I enjoyed my time with Fatal Labyrinth, but, fuck, at least it was something different from everything else I've seen on the Genesis to date.

Ecco: The Tides of Time
Ecco the Dolphin
Arrow Flash
Golden Axe
Alien Storm
Virtua Fighter 2
Fatal Labyrinth
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Streets of Rage 3
Gain Ground
Streets of Rage 2
Golden Axe II
Kid Chameleon
DecapAttack
Comix Zone
Vectorman 2
Vectorman
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Streets of Rage
Chakan: The Forever Man
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Eternal Champions
The Ooze
Jewel Master
Shadow Dancer
Columns III
Columns
Crack Down
Golden Axe III
Altered Beast
Bonanza Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment