May 1, 2014

NBA Hangtime



After realizing this game came out on PS1 as well as N64 I immediately downloaded it to play on my PSP. It’s essentially NBA JAM with create-a-player and what I think is a better announcer. Upon completion, what I’ve discovered is that this game is amazing with four people, but it’s downright unenjoyable as a one-player experience. The reason for that is simple: the CPU manages to be incredible as an opponent but doesn’t bother playing defense as your teammate. What that amounts to is that I have to chuck up threes all game to make sure that I score more despite making fewer shots. The CPU never misses. Ever. I have to shove them multiple times to cause turnovers. Also, I only managed to win one tipoff despite the 40+ games I played. Also, the CPU gets the ball at the second and fourth quarter no matter the result of the tipoff. Large Marge was eventually large enough to beat all 29 teams and be declared “Grand Champion,” but not before some of my love for this game was choked out of me.  Now that I’ve beaten all 29 teams, I get to play random teams with randomly generated Create-A-Players. Those teams are even harder than the goddamn deadly Jazz combo of John Stockton and Jeff Hornacek. I’m a bit ‘timed out at the moment, but will get right back into it when I finally drag my N64 from CA to MA. REJECTED!

1 comment: