May 17, 2014

Dust: An Elysian Tail


I still can't believe what a good deal "Games with Gold" can sometimes be. Once again, the deal is that two preselected games a month are available and free to download for any Xbox Gold subscriber. While the  deal has filled my backlog with more than a few duds, I've recently tried only to acquire and play games that I've at least heard of. Dust is one such game, a side-scrolling hack-and-slash indie RPG.

All in all, it was a fine game. Could have been a little better, but given the free price point and the independent studio behind it, I can't complain. You play as "Dust," a mysterious warrior who doesn't even know his own origins. You're aided by a talking sword and a miniature flying cat-bat hybrid thing named Fidget. Fidget was… a little too "furry fuel" for my comfort, with the voice of a giddy Japanese school girl and oddly voluptuous hips. The whole game was full of anthropomorphic animals. It was a design element I couldn't quite ignore.

Mostly, this one fell right in the middle of the pack as far as Xbox Live Arcade games go. It wasn't Bastion or Braid or Shadow Complex, but it wasn't Shoot Many Robots or Harms Way or A World of Keflings, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment