May 26, 2014

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed


I've been a PS Plus member since November and I've been initiating downloads for all the Vita games since then in order to obtain a large backlog of Vita games when I eventually got one. With Mario Kart looming, I decided this would be the first game I play. I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised. The big gimmick here is that each car can change into a plane and a boat. I played as BD Joe, the crazy driver from Crazy Taxi. The most impressive thing I found about this game was just how vibrant the colors were, particularly on the Vita screen. It's just a beautiful game. But more importantly, it really conveys a sense of speed without sacrificing the player's ability to control the racer. My biggest complaint is that if you play it on easy you then have to go back and play every single race again on medium to unlock the credits. So I literally beat the entire game and then had to beat the entire game again just so I could unlock the credits and consider this game beaten. However, I didn't mind having to revisit it because it was a pretty damn fun game. I recommend it. On a side note, I have no idea why this isn't just called Sonic (or Sega for that matter) All-Star Racing Transformed.

1 comment:

  1. Apparently the first game in the series was called "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing" which, while still a very unwieldy title, manages to have be much better than its sequel's title. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is up there with "Other M" and "Theatrythm" and "Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy" for terrible names for games.

    ReplyDelete