March 29, 2013

Eyes Wide Shut



...What?

Where to start? I guess I should first begin with the fact that I'm not a huge Kubrick fan. Respect the guy. Believe that he's one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. Still, I've just never been really hooked on his films - from those that I've seen - except for The Shining. That I love. In fact there's a new documentary out, Room 237 (96% on RottenTomatoes), exploring the hidden theories and mythos behind that particular movie. Really want to see that. With that in mind, I decided to dive into another Kubrick film I've been meaning to see for quite a while. No, not Dr. Strangelove - although still on my list. It's Eyes Wide Shut. 

After seeing this, the only thing that comes to mind is... What?

This is one of those films I should definitely watch several times to truly grasp what it is Kubrick is trying to say, or to even establish my own views on the story. I'll try to break down some theories in my ramblings below, but I'm sure with more time I'll think differently on this film. 

In a nutshell, this film explores the hardships and temptations of infidelity in a long-term marriage. In a way, it's a sexual odyssey. So we have Kidman and Cruise (remember when they were an actual item?) as a married couple for nine years. They're wealthy NY socialites, where Cruise plays a doctor who makes house calls to the super rich. The film starts at a Christmas party where each person a slightly seduced by different people. Nothing physical happens, but the sexual tension and temptation in the film is set. Not long after, while Cruise and Kidman and smoking some weed in bed together, Kidman reveals a fantasy about making love to some naval officer while sleeping with Cruise about a year ago. Needless to say, this hurts him. Suddenly the phone rings and Cruise is off to check in on a patient emergency. And so begins his sexual odyssey...

Cruise bounces around to a couple different sexual predicaments during the long night. The most famous being that legendary sexual cult/orgy that almost earned the film an NC-17 rating back in 1999. To be clear, it's really not sexual. It's creepy and haunting. Everyone's identity is hidden, forced to wear parlor masks that are actually quite terrifying (I know what I'm going as for Halloween this year!) while they watch or take part in various sexual acts.  Cruise only watches, roaming from room to room until he is caught. It seems like they might try to kill him before one of the woman (we don't know who it is at the time) sacrifices herself to save him. Cruise is let free, and so begins the second half of the film where he tries and uncover what the fuck just happened to him.

This part of the movie I really enjoyed. A compelling mystery to figure out what the hell just happened. Everywhere Cruise goes for information, the cult seems to be one step ahead, passing him messages to leave it alone, go home. I won't reveal the true ending, but I will say I was disappointed that it didn't turn out in a more conventional method. You have to remember, this is a movie about the hardships of marriage... not a mystery on some sex cult lurking in the shadows of NY. 

So what theories are to be taken away from this complicated film? I have no clue. I've been searching around online, stumbled across various articles dealing with sociology, principles of humanity, or clues that the sex cult might have something to do with the Illuminati (what doesn't belong to the Illuminati nowadays?), but either the articles are too damn long to read in one sitting or they're too damn crazy. Here's the only thing I somewhat believe... it's all a dream.

Yes, the whole "it was only a dream" bit. There's evidence to believe that as this couple faces troubles in their marriage, they might have explored the depravities of human sexuality entirely from within. For instance, when Cruise returns from his night out at the crazy orgy cult, he wakes his wife from a nightmare. She explains the nightmare and her story is basically her being one of the prostitutes at the orgy. An eerie moment in the film. Then, at the end, Cruise returns home late at night, once again, and finds his parlor mask (something he thought he lost) laying on his pillow beside his sleeping wife. It's never explain how it got there. Doesn't seem the wife put it there or even knew about it. Regardless, he breaks down in tears, wakes his wife, and confesses everything. With the mask laying comfortably on his pillow, it just gives the impression that Cruise could have been taking this journey subconsciously. Totally from a dream.

Anyways, as some would put it: The truth shall set you free. That seems the one fact that gives hope to their relationship. They both now can trust one another, or maybe they both understand one another at a deeper, more intimate level. Just being honest at the fact that they suffer from temptation now and then. It's hurtful, but it's not deceitful. And, I guess, I would like to think that's a huge part of love and marriage. Discovering who really are at the core of your being and sharing it. The film ends with Kidman saying something along the lines that she's not quite sure how everything will turn out. The only thing they can do now is fuck. 

I'm sure there are much more profound ways you can unpack this story - in fact, I guarantee it - but in terms of sheer entertainment, this film is just not for me. I'm a simple man of simple tastes. Films with philosophical allegories just don't do it for me. Sure, I'm glad I watched it, but I'd rather see Marty McFly struggle to reach 88mph in the DeLorean before the bolt of lightning strikes than watch this again. 

To each their own, I suppose. 

2 comments:

  1. I want to see this. Marissa has, and she calls it one of the most fucked up movies she's ever seen.

    Just curious, which non-Shining Kubrick films had you seen prior to this that you didn't love? I know you had mentioned not being able to get through 2001. I recently saw A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket, liking both but loving neither. But yeah, see Dr. Strangelove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Other than The Shining, I've seen:

    Clockwork Orange
    Spartacus
    Full-Metal Jacket
    2001
    and, of couse, Eyes Wide Shut

    ...I've loved none of them.

    However, I've just finished watching that documentary I mention on all the hidden messages within The Shining. I'll reveal more in my post, but I might be rethinking my stance on Kubrick's films. I will at least admit they all deserve another watch through. It's clear that have to be watched in a different method.

    And the more I dwell on my viewing of Eyes Wide Shut, the more and more entranced I am with its possible messages.

    ReplyDelete