December 14, 2012

The Muppet Christmas Carol


As a kid, this was my first introduction to The Christmas Carol story and it remains my favorite. Bias aside, what really makes this stand to me not only above other versions of the story but also above other Muppet Movies is Michael Caine as Scrooge. Despite what the cover might indicate, he is the main character and does a great job in making me believe his transformation from a hater of Muppets to a lover of Muppets. Speaking of Muppets, Gonzo (playing Charles Dickens) narrates the story while Rizzo hangs with him, but other than that and a few appearances by Kermit as Bob Cratchit, this really is all about Scrooge. The Ghost of Christmas Past is particularly creepy and somewhat out-of-place in  a Muppet movie  and might succeed in giving some younger children nightmares.  That aside, watching this is a great way to get in the Christmas spirit. Spoiler alert: Tiny Tim doesn't die.

1 comment:

  1. I can confirm that yes, as a younger child the Ghost of Christmas Past gave me nightmares. Or at least the willies.

    ReplyDelete