December 14, 2012

Alien


Thanks to the great deals that Amazon.co.uk occasionally has on Blu-rays, I own the entire Alien Quadrilogy (Posts on the other 3 will soon follow). Only seeing this once before (I downloaded illegally!), I remember not being a big fan. Having seen Aliens before ever seeing this, I expected an action-packed thrill ride. I was let down to say the least. However, this second time around, I had tempered my expectations accordingly. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. It's more of a horror movie than an action movie and it really delivers some suspenseful moments. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of a found-footage movie. It's slow, but it works because it is always building to the climax. We don't see the Alien until over an hour into it. But when we do, it's pretty impressive. It's even more impressive when you consider this movie came out in 1979. The ending fell a little short and seeing the Alien in all it's glory was a little less impressive (looked like a dude in a suit with a badass Alien mask), but I can see why this movie is such a classic. It's certainly not as badass as Aliens, but it's a lot better than the other two I am going to have to sit through again. Also, my favorite part of this movie is that their on-board computer, affectionately known as "Mother", functions solely as a Magic 8-Ball. Here's just one paraphrased example of what I'm talking about: Dallas types in,"What are our chances of survival?" and Mother returns, "Ask again later."

1 comment:

  1. I watched the Alien quadrilogy in 2010 and made posts on all four movies. Looking back, I was clearly very unimpressed in general. I wish you more success at appreciating these than I did.

    ReplyDelete