October 23, 2009

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Season 1


I got really into the Terminator franchise late last spring. Hype was building for Terminator Salvation - which turned out to be horrible, by the way - and I had never seen the first two movies in the series. You know, the ones people liked. So, I bought both of them (and the third one, which in my mind is incredibly underrated) for around $5 each and had a little mini-marathon of sorts, watching all three with my friends from home in the course of a week. Now, I had known about this show since its inception during the winter of the strike-shortened '07-'08 TV season. Like many, I guffawed at the concept. A completely dated franchise launching a TV spin-off? The whole thing reeked of, "We need to air something during this strike; let's take that Terminator pilot off the shelves and run with a few episodes." As it turns out, the first season (it was nine episodes long, and I can't tell if it was a strike victim itself or if it was never meant to exceed the length of a midseason replacement) was pretty good. But the whole reason I bought the first season is because a good friend of mine swore up and down that the second season was amazing. And maybe it was. The first season certainly wrapped up in a way that allows for an amazing second season to occur. But then, don't most seasons of most shows? I don't mean to sound skeptical; I'm just trying to prevent myself from expecting too much. Regardless, I haven't even purchased the second season yet, and it'll be at least a little while before I get to find out for myself just how good it could have been. After all, its ratings did plummet and it got canned almost immediately after the finale aired. (Again, I'm being intentionally pessimistic about it; I fully take my friend's word on this.) I will of course let you know, dear reader(s), my opinions of Season 2 once it's been added and removed from my backlog. In the meantime, I've got some shooters to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment