August 20, 2018

Blue Planet: Season 2


After I got all kinds of geeked up about Planet Earth II a year or two ago, Blue Planet II just felt a little bit lackluster. I really can't say why. It's another incredibly high quality nature documentary from the BBC Nature team, impressive from start to finish. Is it, perhaps, because the ocean - for all its vastness - just sort of feels like one big environment? How the animals there, despite their incredible biodiversity, feel more monotonous to watch than the hyper-specialized land animals found in deserts and jungles and mountains? Or maybe it's simply that I scratched a nature itch last year that I didn't need to revisit so soon. Again - I really can't say! But where Planet Earth flirted with - and possibly even cracked - my top ten in 2017, I don't think Blue Planet is anywhere in my top twenty or thirty in a much weaker 2018 television landscape. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment