August 1, 2018

GLOW: Season 2


The first season of GLOW fell just a little bit short of my expectations, but that's not uncommon for a new show, especially when it's hyped or advertised as one thing and then it turns out to be another thing. I came for an '80s lady wrestling dramedy, and what I got was a smaller and more character-driven story - collection of stories, really - about a ragtag group of women just trying to get their wrestling show off the ground. In hindsight, the first season of GLOW was very good, but I underrated it when I first saw it because what I had hoped to see was more of the wrestling show-within-a-show itself, the behind-the-scenes management of the storylines and character arcs. Someone described the whole thing as "having that issue where the pilot is the entire first season," and I think that's the best way to put it.

All that said - man, I really loved the second season of GLOW! Thanks to the groundwork the first season put in (of, you know, showing the groundwork these ladies put in), everything hits the ground running in Season 2. The characters and their relationships are firmly in place - and their kayfabe characters are already established - and the show is able to just jump right in and tell a whole bunch of interesting stories about these women and their silly little wrestling league. It can be frustrating, but overall it is a great sign when a TV show keeps leaving you wanting more. And I want more GLOW! More seasons, and dare I say, longer seasons. The second season's finale arguably makes for a satisfying series finale - any final scene that just cuts around to different characters' uncertain faces while Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" plays will do that - but no, fuck that, give me more GLOW. Seriously, why hasn't this been renewed for a third season yet? What the hell is going on at Netflix?

No comments:

Post a Comment