August 22, 2018

Orange is the New Black: Season 6


Not feeling super wordy here, and I don't have it in me to break down the twenty-odd running pots in this prison drama at this point, but I have to give Orange Is the New Black credit for consistently being very good and very compelling television. This thing is tonally a mess and a nightmare, zipping between prison guard hijinks and wrongful murder convictions with enough whiplash to break your goddamn neck. Also, here in Season 6, a huge chunk of the cast from Seasons 1-5 is just flat out gone, and what surprised me most was how little I missed most of them. (Guess that's how it works when you have an ensemble cast of, like, forty people.)

But yeah, six years in, this show is still finding ways to stay fresh and interesting and socially relevant. This year's finale included a twist of fate for one character that was just the biggest goddamn gut punch I've received form any show since like, The Wire itself. The version of this show that dabbles with those punches is, bar none, the best TV show in the world today. But Orange Is the New Black is only that show like five percent of the time. Still very good! I like it very much, and while I'm sure it'll wear out its welcome someday, it's going remarkably strong as it heads into Season 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment