December 30, 2017

Star Wars: The Last Jedi


Plenty to say here, but it's all been said elsewhere. I'll be brief!

I really enjoyed this. I know taking the anti-nerdfan stance isn't exactly a difficult thing to do, and I acknowledge that this movie had all kinds of imperfections and flaws and issues, but I mean, who gives a shit, it's Star Wars. This is the ninth movie in the dang franchise, and literally most of them have been deeply imperfect and flawed. There's an argument to be made - and I'm not saying I'm making it, just acknowledging that it can be made - that The Last Jedi is the most emotionally gratifying movie in the whole silly series. It's almost certainly, at least, the most competently made and best-written movie in the series - but that's not saying much when almost all of the others were written and directed by George Lucas, is it?

Anyway, after The Force Awakens, I can't say I was really excited to see what happened in Episode VIII. But after The Last Jedi, I'm very, very curious to see where J.J. Abrams goes with Episode IX. Probably nowhere good, given that it's J.J. Abrams, but still - I'm excited! Thanks for that, Rian Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment